It’s almost St. Patricks Day! As a red head, I do have to admit that it’s one of my favorite holidays. To celebrate, I decided to take one of my childhood favorites, Grilled Cheese, and take it to the next level. In this blog post, I present to you your new favorite lunch: The Green Goddess Grilled Cheese.
This post is in partnership with Kroger Co. All opinions are my own!
This sandwich truly changed my life… I mean look at it. Delicious and festive for St. Patrick’s Day? Sign me up. The best part about this recipe is that it looks complicated, but it’s actually extremely easy to make. I went to Kroger this morning after my workout and knew I wanted something “green” and in the spirit, so I was able to get everything I needed right there. You also know that I love affordable meals, thanks to Kroger I didn’t need to spend a ton on the ingredients to make this sandwich and I have groceries leftover to make another one tomorrow! Long story short, Kroger has made eating healthy 10x more affordable, which is very important to me, especially as a college student.
Now, on to the sandwich dEATS!
Welcome to the newest love of my life and a brand new Healthywaysfordays staple: The Green Goddess Grilled Cheese. Filled to the brim with delicious green vegetables like spinach, sprouts, avocado, pesto, and tomatillos, alongside Kroger’s Private Selection Mozzarella Cheese.
Truly, you can’t have too many layers in a sandwich and this one is no exception. I used 4 slices of cheese, two on each slice of the bread and then layered the veggies in the center so they didn’t cook too much.
It may seem odd to add avocado to a warm sandwich, but TRUST ME on this. It’s incredible. A 10/10 must try, plus avocados are very high in omega 3 fatty acids, the good king of fat! Monounsaturated fats can help lower cholesterol and improve heart health.
- 4 slices whole grain bread
- 1 avocado sliced
- 1 tomatilla or green tomato sliced
- 8 slices of Kroger’s Private Selection Mozzarella cheese
- Handful baby spinach
- Handful alfalfa sprouts
- Place sliced avocado on top of each slice of bread. Spread a layer of pesto on top of the avocado. Top with two slices of Kroger’s Private Selection Mozzarella cheese. Top with tomatillo slices, spinach, and sprouts. Lastly, top with the final slice of bread.
- Spray a baking sheet with olive oil.
- Place each sandwich in the pan and place in the oven on 425F for about 4-5 minutes per side.
- Enjoy with a side of pickles and fruit/veggies!
Happy St. Patrick’s Day!